In 2012 Girls on the Run (GOTR) and Alpha Sigma Alpha established an official partnership. This partnership marks GOTR as our newest national philanthropic partner.
Girls on the Run is a transformational physical activity based positive youth development program for girls in 3rd-8th grade. The program teaches life skills through dynamic, interactive lessons and running games. The program culminates with the girls being physically and emotionally prepared to complete a celebratory 5k running event. The goal of the program is to unleash confidence through accomplishment while establishing a lifetime appreciation of health and fitness.
The core curriculum of Girls on the Run addresses many aspects of girls’ development- including their physical, emotional, mental and social well-being. The same is true for Alpha Sigma Alpha as it relates to women. With common goals, values and a commitment to developing girls and women, the partnership between Alpha Sigma Alpha and Girls on the Run is a perfect match.
Collegiate and alumnae chapters volunteer for Girls on the Run in the following ways:
- Volunteer as a coach or assistant coach
- Assist at the GOTR 5K event
- Serve as a running buddy for a girl
- Attend practice 5ks and facilitate programming
- Host a celebration party after a GOTR 5K event
- Help at a water station
- Make signs and cheer on the girls
- Help with setup, registration or cleanup at the GOTR 5K
- Assist in a Girls on the Run office by assembling coach boxes or help with mailings for the start of a season
- Provide coach box materials, lap counters and other supplies for the girls
These are just a few of the ways Alpha Sigma Alphas support Girls on the Run. There are many other opportunities depending on each individual GOTR council.
Alpha Sigma Alpha members who would like to volunteer for their local GOTR council should visit www.girlsontherun.org for more information.
While Alpha Sigma Alpha local involvement has been significant, there are also several Alpha Sigma Alpha chapters and members who participate in our “adopt-a-council” program. These chapters offer support to councils by:
- Sending encouraging notes to girls
- Sponsoring needed supplies like post-race granola bars, lap counters or other items specific to the council
- Creating YouTube videos to cheer the girls on throughout the season
- Offering registration scholarships to girls who need financial support
- Any other idea that is mutually agreed upon by the assigned GOTR council and the Alpha Sigma Alpha chapter
If your council has a need or idea about how Alpha Sigma Alpha’s can be involved, or if your chapter is interested in adopting a council, contact us today.
How can members help your council?
If there is a Girls on the Run Council in close proximity to an Alpha Sigma Alpha chapter (on a college campus or in a city), you can expect involvement from members! A team of Alpha Sigma Alpha volunteers is in regular contact with members to educate about GOTR, make connections with local councils and encourage volunteer participation.
Examples of how Alpha Sigma Alpha’s have already been helping include:
- Serving as head and assistant coaches
- Cheering at practice 5K events
- Volunteering at local council offices
- Assembling coach boxes
- Serving as running buddies
- Assisting with special events and fundraisers
- Providing race day support:
- Face painters
- Water stations
- Inspiration Wall
- Mile counters
- Course monitors
- Cheerleaders along the route
- Some sites may even include the ΑΣΑ mascot – “Dot” the ladybug!
Tips for Girls on the Run Councils
If your council has not received support from Alpha Sigma Alpha members, please consider the following:
- Check out the chapter locator to see which collegiate and/or alumnae chapters may be close to you.
- Contact information is listed for each chapter.
- We encourage you to reach out to chapters directly.
- If you would like assistance in contacting a chapter, contact us.